How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Fiona Chen Your Own Question
Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 482
Experience:  Former IRS Revenue Agent
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Dr. Fiona Chen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question about who is required to file form 5471.

Customer Question

I have a question about who is required to file form 5471. We are a C corporation with 3 foreign subsidiaries. We file a consolidated form 1120, and the corporation owns the subs. No individual officer or shareholder in the parent company owns stock in any of the subs.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 10 months ago.

Dear Customer,

According to the Form instruction, your C Corporation is a U.S. person because it is a domestic corporation. Therefore, you should file Form 5471.

Below website link and citation are for your further reference.


Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP

U.S. person.

For purposes of Category 2

and Category 3, a U.S. person is:


A citizen or resident of the United



A domestic partnership,


A domestic corporation, and


An estate or trust that is not a

foreign estate or trust defined in

Related Tax Questions