Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I receive SSA disability benefits and widow benefits that

Customer Question
total 1762.00 per month. I...
I receive SSA disability benefits and widow benefits that total 1762.00 per month. I hadn't had taxes taken out yet this year. I was
Just told we have to request for taxes to be taken out of my benefits. As of September, I'm going to request taxes to be taken out. This late in the year how much would I need them to take out to not owe at the end of this year
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/29/2016
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 1 year ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Is your social security benefits only income you have? What other income do you have?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
only income
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No text is fine

Than you do not need to pay any taxes or have anything withheld. You are not going to have any taxable income and you don't even need to file a tax return. Who told you you need to have taxes withheld?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My sister who is 66, she gets social security and a pention and her husband is 42 and still works

Your total social security income is about 21K. The entire amount is excluded from your taxable income which means your tax liability is 0.

Your sister pays taxes on her social security because of her pension and her husband's income. That's not your case. If you have anything withheld you will need to file a tax return just to get your withholdings back. You can save on tax preparation fees by not having anything withheld.

Up to 85% of your social security income can be taxable if

you file a federal tax return as an "individual" and your combined income (your other income + 1/2 of your SS benefits) is

• between $25,000 and $34,000, you may have to pay income tax on up to 50 percent of your benefits.
  • more than $34,000, up to 85 percent of your benefits may be taxable

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I owe back taxes more than 40,000.00 when my husband was alive he withdrew his 401k before he was 59. He had 140,000.00 and withdrew 10,000.00 @ a time. Also several year he didn't pay our taxes
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He was very ill and need money for medication, hospital bill and doctor bills.

Well, this is a different issue. If you owe back taxes, you make estimated payments or request an installment agreement. You do not request withholding. Withholding without filing a tax return will not be credited towards your balance due and if you do not file a tax return within 3 years you will loose them and your balance due will still be the same.

Did you have your returns prepared by a professional tax preparer or you just accepted what the IRS claimed you owe?

Do you have any questions?

emc011075
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser