How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15594
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I started a new business but I have misplaced the document

Customer Question

I started a new business but I have misplaced the document with my EIN, How do I get that
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: what do you want to know. I can give you the name of the business etc
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. An officer or owner of the business would need to contact the IRS and request that the IRS resend the EIN number. You would need to ask for a SS-4 letter. The IRS number is *****

Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 1 year ago.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need clarification. I am happy to help

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


I am a different expert.

The IRS will not send you a copy of the original verification you received. That was computer generated and is not issued as a copy when you misplace the first.

Ask the IRS to search for your EIN by calling the Business & Specialty Tax Line at(###) ###-####/strong>. Do not use the general number(###) ###-####.

The hours of operation are 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday.

An assistor will ask you for identifying information and provide the number to you over the telephone, as long as you are a person who is authorized to receive it. Examples of an authorized person include, but are not limited to, a sole proprietor, a partner in a partnership, a corporate officer, a trustee of a trust, or an executor of an estate.

They will tell you the number and can issue you a 147C letter. It verifies your EIN. They will even fax you the letter if you ask.