Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My husband retired from the Vicksburg Fire Dept and was

Customer Question
drawing retirement funds through the...
My husband retired from the Vicksburg Fire Dept and was drawing retirement funds through the Public Retirement System of Mississippi.
He passed away in 1992 & since that time, I have been drawing said retirement funds.
A number of years ago I was informed that these retirement funds were no longer
taxable in the state of Alabama. However, this past year, my tax preparer raised some
question about this. It was later determined that since his retirement was from the Fire Department it was NOT taxable. I was told to get something in writing to this effect.
I would like to have something in writing stating that the retirement funds from the Vicksburg Fire Department are not taxable in the Stat of Alabama.
Sarah P Yeager ***@******.***
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
8/26/2016
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to with your questions. Please give me a moment to prepare your response.

There is an exemption for firefighter's pension but the firefighter needed to work in Alabama.

All retirement compensation received by an eligible fire fighter or a designated beneficiary from any Alabama fire fighting agency.

Here is the address to Alabama Department of Revenue.

https://revenue.alabama.gov/incometax/xempt.cfm

Sarah, The pension should is unfortunately taxable in Alabama.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need clarification. I am happy to help

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor