How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3117
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 64 years old and have not paid into SS for some time. I

Customer Question

I am 64 years old and have not paid into SS for some time. I have my taxes done but do not file because I don't have the funds to pay the tax. Am I able to apply for Medicare under these circumstances?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mary. Usually to qualify for Medicare you need to be at least 65 and

  1. You are a U.S. citizen or legal resident, and
  2. You have resided in the United States for a minimum of five years
  3. Worked at least 10 years in Medicare-covered employment

If you are under age 65, you will qualify for Medicare if:

  1. You have End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD), or
  2. You have received Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) payments for 24 months (or in the first month of disability for ALS ("Lou Gehrig's Disease"))

Even if you cannot pay the balance, you should always file your tax return. You cannot be criminally prosecuted if you don't have means to pay but you can be criminally prosecuted for not filing. You should always file your returns if required, even if you cannot pay what you owe.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Self employed as a beautian.
Income is most often spotty these days. My tax return requires a 600 dollar payment every quarter and I just cannot do it. Does this mean I will not have ANY social; security at 65?
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

If you do not have much income you do not have to make estimated payments. Those are voluntary. You can apply for social security any time you want. Your benefits are calculated using 35 years in which you earned the most. Your current year earnings may not affect your benefits. And if your earnings are high enough to increase your benefits you will get the increase in the following year. To qualify for Medicare you need 10 years of social security income. If you have been working for the last 25 years you already qualify.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Mary, I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?