Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My recently deceased mother had an IRA that was sending her

Customer Question
a yearly distribution of approx...
My recently deceased mother had an IRA that was sending her a yearly distribution of approx $1,000 each year. After researching the distributions for the past four years the bank has determined the checks were returned and never cashed. (They sent them to a closed PO box) the withholding was 10% and reported on my mom's taxes. I never caught that the checks never made it to her because I wasn't aware of the account. I just filed anything that came in for taxes. So the bank tells me to check with best way to proceed to cut me a beneficiary check. Do I pay taxes again? It's not a huge amount but I'd almost rather pay more now and get it back, or credited later, rather than owe because it will be on my taxes. Your opinion?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/25/2016
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions.

I am very sorry for your loss. You would not need to pay taxes again. The taxes were already paid on these distributions. The bank would need to reissue the checks.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor