How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 12035
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an 80 year old Florida homeowner. I do not earn enough

Customer Question

I am an 80 year old Florida homeowner. I do not earn enough to file a tax return. My 20 year old AC/Heater needs to be replaced. There is a $350. tax credit for one of the efficient systems. Could I get that money? If so, how would I go about it.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

Hi My name's Lane, I can help you here.


I'm so sorry but this credit is what's called a non-refundable credit.


If this were a REFUNDABLE credit you could file a return and then get a refund, becasue you owe no other taxes.


The residential energy property credit is nonrefundable. A nonrefundable tax credit allows taxpayers to lower their tax liability to zero, but not below zero.


YOU can read more about this from IRS here:


Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.


If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I know it takes an extra step, but JustAnswer won’t credit us for the work until you rate.


Thank you!


I have a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice on three continents, since 1986.

Related Tax Questions