Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I believe that I may have been scammed out of $2000 by

Customer Question
people purporting to be the...
I believe that I may have been scammed out of $2000 by people purporting to be the IRS agents. I use a cell phone exclusively and my device is now charging aand is likely to be in this condition for another hour or so. can I communicate about this to you now, What shall I do? Harris Hyman
###-##-####
tel(###) ###-####
5235 NE 27th Avenue, Portland, or 97211
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
8/24/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

How were you contacted by the person claiming to be "IRS"?

The Internal Revenue Service and the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration continue to hear from taxpayers who have received unsolicited calls from individuals demanding payment while fraudulently claiming to be from the IRS.

If you were called then it was not IRS. If they demanded payment NOW (as in by gift card or prepaid card) it was not the IRS.

the IRS:

• Never asks for credit card, debit card or prepaid card information over the telephone.
  • Never insists that taxpayers use a specific payment method to pay tax obligations
  • Never requests immediate payment over the telephone and will not take enforcement action immediately following a phone conversation. Taxpayers usually receive prior notification of IRS enforcement action involving IRS tax liens or levies
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4