How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3166
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have not filed taxes since 1991 since I was only going to

Customer Question

I have not filed taxes since 1991 since I was only going to receive not pay. I started a new job in 2015 my $ 9000.00 retirement money did not roll over. The check was made out to me. I was told once I cashed it I would be taxed for it. I want to file my taxes because I know I will have to pay. I do not know how to go about doing it. Will I have to file all my w2s from 1991 ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you were not required to file because of your income bellow filing requirements than you only need to file 2015. When did you receive the check? In 2015 or 2016?

To claim the distribution the employer should send you 1099R. If you are not at leat 59 1/2 the distribution will be taxed as regular income and it will also be subject to 10% early distribution penalty.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Vanessa, I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?