Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I work for a non profit. We traded in a fully depreciated

Customer Question
I work for a non...
I work for a non profit. We traded in a fully depreciated vehicle for a leased vehicle (closed end lease) What is the journal entry to record that transaction. The trade in value was used to offset the amount due at lease signing.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
8/22/2016
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions.

Accumulated Depreciation (vehicle ) $xx,xxx (debit)

Vehicle $xx,xxx (credit)

Lease signing costs $x,xxx (debit)

Gain of disposal of vehicle $x,xxx (credit)

You would want to break out the lease signing costs into the various expenses.

I am assuming that the lease would be considered an operating lease and at the end of the lease agreement the vehicle would be returned to the leasor.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need clarification. I am happy to help.

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor