How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2928
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My previously primary residence that I own is now rented out

Customer Question

My previously primary residence that I own is now rented out by my daughter. I am not making a profit from it, she is just paying on mortgage amount. I am currently living with my mother who is suffering from early stages of dementia to assist her with the bills. I took along my minor son with me and we had to change schools in a different district. They required updated driver license, car insurance, and registration for school records of where I currently live now. Can I still deduct the mortgage interest and real estate taxes on the home I own?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you paid the mortgage yourself, than you could deduct it. But if the mortgage is paid by your daughter, nobody can deduct it. In order to deduct the interest and property taxes you have to make the payments and you have to own the property. Your daughter doesn't own it and you do not make the payments so technically neither of you qualify for the deduction.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 months ago.


Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 months ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?