Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Why can't I collect both my SS and my husbands SS after he

Customer Question
dies. Why do I...
Why can't I collect both my SS and my husbands SS after he dies. Why do I loose mine?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
8/21/2016
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 1 year ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** will be happy to help you.

You cannot collect somebody else's benefits. You can collect your own benefits based on somebody else's records, like your spouse's or ex but not his own benefits.

After your spouse dies, you will be eligible for survivor/widow benefits (your own benefits based on your spouse's records) as well as your own benefits but you can collect only one benefits at the time. You will be eligible or both but you will have to choose between you own or survivor/widow benefits. You cannot have both.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my daughter just lost her husband and is told she will b collecting $2000 a month. Yet we seniors can't get a 2% cola.

Because the inflation rate didn't increase, consumer prices actually went down according to statistics, the social security didn't do the cost of living adjustment for 2016.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my daughter just lost her husband ans is told she will be getting $2000 a month yet we seniors can't get a 2% cola.I am 83 yrs old and live on $1347 a month . this isn't right.

The COLA adjustment would be for everybody so your daughter would also get an increase. Social security benefits are based on work history (earnings) but also how soon you applied for the benefits. Everybody has his/her benefits calculated individually.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney