How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15739
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a huge amount of arrearage due to 2 yrs unemployment.

Customer Question

I have a huge amount of arrearage due to 2 yrs unemployment. I am a disabled vet. I am currently contesting the amount. While it is being contested can they legally garnish my refund? This seems unjust.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


Yes unfortunately they can continue to offset your refund even during an appeal. If the refund is sent to an agency that requests the Treasury Department levy the refund then you would seek reimbursement from that specific agency after the appeal is over.

It does seem unfair.