How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3179
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

NYS Taxation Depart. Audited my husband 2015 taxes, he

Customer Question

NYS Taxation Depart. Audited my husband 2015 taxes, he claimed our four children as dependents, they requested supporting documents like birth certificate, school letters, doctors letter, even his W2, we sent all of that, after 3 months my husband received the explanation letter telling him that they only could verify his W2 and birth certificates, they claimed that in their attempts to verify our oldest daughter residence by calling the school the person who signed the letter was the office clerk and as of the date of the letter she was not longer working there, the explanation letter also says that it seems the that school letter was created solely for the puepose of claiming the child credit called empire state credit, they didn't even bother to call the other kids schools, they disallowed the credits of all 4 children, also they sent him a check with an adjusted refund, we contact the person on the letter he say he won't need us to send other types of documents, he doesn't want more schools letter , the only thing he needs is to verify the children address from doctor office , he say he fax them regarding verification but no response yet, I called the doctors office and they say they haven't received anything, its been two weeks since this guy told my husband he contacted the doctors office, I believe he's playing with us, there is something else we can do? We still gonna sent letter from school as soon as they open , we don't want the audit case to close just because we didn't send any extra supporting documents... Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Did you receive a final decision about the changes made to your tax return? If not, you need to respond to the letter your received in writing, dispute the change/decision and provide additional supporting documents. Do not rely on the phone conversation and hope that the agent will do anything in his help you. Tax auditors usually do not go out of their way to verify your documents. Make sure you have make copies of everything you mail. You have to be persistent.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

If you still keep getting runarounds contact taxpayer advocate services.

I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.