How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3364
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have 2 tax questions. They are about exemptions. Can I

Customer Question

Hi. I have 2 tax questions. They are about exemptions. Can I claim my 24 year old daughter who made about $5,500 ? and can I claim my mother who has been placed in a nursing/assisted living home? We contribute more than half her support because we have to pay the facility bill. She does not qualify for medicaid because she receives a retirement check each month. Can we claim them both as exemptions?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Based on the information you provided, it appears you cannot claim your daughter as a dependent, but you you can claim your mother if she does not have gross income of more than $4,000.

Please review the requirements in the following link regarding claiming dependents:

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,


Customer: replied 11 months ago.
$4,000? Do you mean $4,000 a month? My mother gets retirement checks monthly that come to more than $4,000 a year.
Expert:  Barbara replied 11 months ago.

Gross income of more than $4,000 per year

Expert:  Barbara replied 11 months ago.

Non-taxable income, such as Social Security, does not count toward the $4,000 per year amount.

Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 11 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Nursing home expenses and health care are very expensive. You may be able to properly deduct the medical expenses you pay for your daughter as well as for your mother on your own tax return. One test to qualify for dependent test is the relationship with you. Both your daughter and your mother qualify for the relationship. They don't have to live with you. If the only the reason why they are not qualified for your dependency test is because their earning is above the yearly exemption amount, say 4,000 in 2015 and 4,050 in 2016, you can still deduct their medical expenses you paid for them on your own tax return, Schedule A. Please see the references and citation below for dependency test and for medical deduction. The medical deduction citation is from IRS Publication 502.


Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP

Below citation reference is from IRS Website, link is enclosed.

You can include medical expenses you paid for an individual that would have been your dependent except that:

  1. He or she received gross income of $4,000 or more in 2015,

  2. He or she filed a joint return for 2015, or

  3. You, or your spouse if filing jointly, could be claimed as a dependent on someone else's 2015 return.

Expert:  Barbara replied 11 months ago.

First expert here - you specifically asked about claiming your daughter and your mom as dependents on your tax return, which based on the information you provided, you cannot.

Just for clarification, as to deducting the medical expenses for your mom, you would have to be able to itemize your deductions in order to deduct the medical expenses on Schedule A.

Best regards,