How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Fiona Chen Your Own Question
Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 482
Experience:  Former IRS Revenue Agent
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Dr. Fiona Chen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've been renting this house for 20+ years.The owners has

Customer Question

I've been renting this house for 20+ years.The owners has passed and the grand children been handling the rent,Butfor 4 years no land tax has been paid.Can i pay for it and put a lein on the property?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

You may need to talk with your county property government. First, you need to find out whose name is ***** ***** deed.

Property tax is not a gift. The government may not accept your money. Also, if you pay the property tax without the owner's permission, you may get yourself in trouble. As to the second part, whether you can put a lien on the property, again, you need to ask the County government. However, it is unlikely. To place a lien on the house, the person needs a court judgment, not just a bill or invoice.

However, if the grandchildren's name or trust name is ***** ***** deed, they may welcome the idea for you to purchase the house. To sell the house to you, they may be willing to pay off the current property tax themselves.


Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP