How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3792
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I get a copy of the request for an extension for

Customer Question

How can I get a copy of the request for an extension for filing taxes. This was done prior to April 15,2016....Thanks
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I filed the request prior to the filing date, both State and Federal. I received an answer that is was approved but I was not able to print it out as I was away from home getting medical treatment. Now I need a copy of that approval for medical expenses. How do I go about requesting a copy of the approval?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I know of. I am almost 80 years old and have not had to pay any additional taxes for several years but need to file anyway. But at this point to some help with my medical expenses I need a copy of the approval.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

You can get a free transcript from the IRS which will show the date the extension was accepted and any payment made with it.

You can request a copy of your transcript online:


You can fax or mail in Form 4506-T to the IRS.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,


Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please let me know, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Best regards,