Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I filed an extension for 2015. I had 2 significant losses.

Customer Question
One was a swindel and...
I filed an extension for 2015. I had 2 significant losses. One was a swindel and I was advised by a tax professional I will be working with that I should make a police report. How do I do that now after all this time? I lost 23K on that and when I contacted the U.S. rep he told me I would never see my money again and filing a police report wouldn't change anything.
I need a tax planner to help me itemize too.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
8/14/2016
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 1 year ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You can claim casualty loss deduction but as the agent told you, you will not get the money back through the refund. You may be able to recover about 10, maybe 15%. Most tax professional can handle itemized deduction. What type of losses you have? Certain ponzi scheme losses get preferential tax treatment, but again, do not expected you will get 23K refund.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney