How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Taylor Your Own Question
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2074
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mark Taylor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

At tax time this year I withdrew money ($9500) from my IRA

Customer Question

At tax time this year I withdrew money ($9500) from my IRA to put into my wife's HSA Account. I was told by the administrator that I could apply half to last year (2015) and half to this year (2016). Several months later, they now told me that one half cannot be applied to last year. Now they want me to withdraw the excess. In the meantime I withdrew too much ($5,500). So now I have no clue how much the excess is. I also want to put the excess back into an IRA. For tax purposes? How do figure the excess and get this straightened out?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 11 months ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. What kind of HSA plan did your wife have? Was it a single plan or a family plan?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It was a single plan.
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 11 months ago.

The HSA contribution limits for a single plan is $3350 in 2015. If your wife was older than 55 in 2015 the limit increases to $4,350.

Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 11 months ago.

Is the Administrator saying they cannot apply anything to 2015?

The limits for 2016 are the same.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My wife is 63. Apparently it has something to do with the way the money came into the account. It was not It coded correctly by the administrator, so was not applied to 2015. The mistake, I guess, maybe, was made by the administrator but they said it was the way I transferred it. Anyway, they say they cannot correct it at this point.
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 11 months ago.

That is terrible. You would think they would be accountable for their error.

So the HSA limit for 2016 is $4,350. The excess would be $5,150 ($9500 less $4,350). There may be some earnings too that would need to be withdrawn (that were attributed to this excess).

Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 11 months ago.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I could do that math. What about the fact that I withdrew too much? What about putting the excess back into my IRA?
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 11 months ago.

You would have 60 days to return the excess. The $9,500 would have been reported as a distribution in 2015. Depending on your earned income, AGI, and if you are your wife are covered by a qualified plan you may be eligible to contribute to a IRA of up to $6,500. Did you have any earned income? Approximately what will be your AGI? Are you or your wife covered through a retirement plan with an employee?