Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

At tax time this year I withdrew money ($9500) from my IRA

Customer Question
to put into my wife's...
At tax time this year I withdrew money ($9500) from my IRA to put into my wife's HSA Account. I was told by the administrator that I could apply half to last year (2015) and half to this year (2016). Several months later, they now told me that one half cannot be applied to last year. Now they want me to withdraw the excess. In the meantime I withdrew too much ($5,500). So now I have no clue how much the excess is. I also want to put the excess back into an IRA. For tax purposes? How do figure the excess and get this straightened out?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
8/13/2016
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. What kind of HSA plan did your wife have? Was it a single plan or a family plan?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was a single plan.

The HSA contribution limits for a single plan is $3350 in 2015. If your wife was older than 55 in 2015 the limit increases to $4,350.

Is the Administrator saying they cannot apply anything to 2015?

The limits for 2016 are the same.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My wife is 63. Apparently it has something to do with the way the money came into the account. It was not It coded correctly by the administrator, so was not applied to 2015. The mistake, I guess, maybe, was made by the administrator but they said it was the way I transferred it. Anyway, they say they cannot correct it at this point.

That is terrible. You would think they would be accountable for their error.

So the HSA limit for 2016 is $4,350. The excess would be $5,150 ($9500 less $4,350). There may be some earnings too that would need to be withdrawn (that were attributed to this excess).

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I could do that math. What about the fact that I withdrew too much? What about putting the excess back into my IRA?

You would have 60 days to return the excess. The $9,500 would have been reported as a distribution in 2015. Depending on your earned income, AGI, and if you are your wife are covered by a qualified plan you may be eligible to contribute to a IRA of up to $6,500. Did you have any earned income? Approximately what will be your AGI? Are you or your wife covered through a retirement plan with an employee?

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor