How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15738
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What do I do if my husband and I are separated for years? I

Customer Question

What do I do if my husband and I are separated for years? I don't know what he is filing, I don't know where he is so how can I file with itemize lines?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


Married filing separate means you are considered married but not filing joint. You just list all your own income and deductions if you have no contact with your spouse.

Your itemized deductions should only include those amounts that you have paid with your own money. If you have a mortgage then claim the interest you paid and the same with property taxes, just report what you actually paid.

Please let me know if you need clarification. If you do not then a positive rating is appreciated so I get credit for the response. (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES)