How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3003
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a new client who has not filed a tax return in years.

Customer Question

I have a new client who has not filed a tax return in years. I prepared 2013, 2014 and 2015 and they were filed. The IRS now wants 2011, 2012, and 2013 which I have prepared. IRS also wants 2003!! I used turbo tax way back then but I do not have the disc. Can I get from Turbo Tax? or a download?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 11 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

2003 is not longer available and even if you have one, it no longer support the updates. Most tax preparation softwares are discontinues after 6 or 10 years.

Is it a complicated return? Can it be done by hand? You may have more luck with the IRS form. Do you have the source documents? You will not get a transcript for 2003.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 11 months ago.

According to the IRS website you are required to keep records for up to 7 years and only for worthless securities. You can deny the request for the 2003 return with an argument that the taxpayer doesn't have any records anymore. While it is true that there's no statute of limitation for unfilled return, it is also true that it is up to the IRS to proof the income. The good news is that after six years, the taxpayer cannot be criminally prosecuted for not filing a return. Call the IRS and ask for 2003 tax payer records. If they are no records, tell the agent that there are no documents to prepare requested tax return. The IRS usually back off. The agents know that they are not suppose to requests returns beyond 6 year, they are just fishing around and sometimes they get lucky.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 11 months ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Expert:  emc011075 replied 11 months ago.

I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.