How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15731
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a house that I rent out. A prospective tenant has to

Customer Question

I have a house that I rent out. A prospective tenant has to is self-employed and uses his S-Corps as tax shelters. He would like to use his K-1 as income verification. He is telling me that box 1 (Ordinary Business Income) is the business' net income (not gross). Can you verify this?
If so, is there any reason I shouldn't accept this as proof of income?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


The amount reported in box 1 is the share of the ordinary income (loss) from trade or business activities of the corporation.

If you are wanting to know if he would have the ability to meet the rent obligation, tax returns and tax forms (like a K1) are not designed to provide a clear picture of cash flow. Instead, tax returns report taxable income and deductible expenses.

You can accept his proof of business income but a poor personal credit history could indicate a cash flow problem (or if there is no problem) better.