How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15318
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 50 year old legally blind person on Social Security

Customer Question

I am a 50 year old legally blind person on Social Security Disability with a allowed pt job making $20,000.00. I want to move a 401k into a IRA. Part of this 401k is a Roth (taxes already paid) $56,000.00. While I roll the nontaxable 401k and the Roth, I am told since I am disabled, I can withdraw some of the money with a 20% tax reduction. If I withdraw $5,000.00 -10,000.00 will this affect my SS disability?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 11 months ago.


SSA does not count pensions as income.

According to the SSA page found here

Two things can cause us to decide that you are no longer disabled and to stop your benefits.

  • Your disability benefits will stop if you work at a level we consider "substantial."

    In 2016, average earnings of $1,130 or more per month ($1,820 or more per month if you are blind) are usually considered substantial.