Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My girlfriend has been selected for an audit by the ato. She…

Customer Question
My girlfriend has been selected...
My girlfriend has been selected for an audit by the ato. She works as an accounts assistant. She earns approx 40k per year. This year she completed a master degree in accountancy, finished june 2016,as recommended by her employer for her to be considered for better positions, and also to improve her ability to conduct her current role adequately. Her bachelors degree was in applied finance. She claimed for these fees of 14k (only for payments made for trimesters occurring throughout that taxyear) and was due an estimated refund of 4100.
The ato have now contacted her about the above deduction.
They mentioned they need a letter from her employer? What exactly does the employer need to confirm?
She has reciepts for the above payments by the way.
Is there anything else she needs to provide. She is worried she will be fined etc
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
8/9/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

The ATO needs her to be able to show that the self education costs are within the rules for the deduction claim.

Self-education - principles of deductibility under section 8-1

(a) A deduction is allowable for self-education expenses if the taxpayer's income-earning activities are based on the exercise of a skill or some specific knowledge and the subject of self-education enables the taxpayer to maintain or improve that skill or knowledge

The request from ATO is for the employer to say in writing that undertaking the lessons made her better equipped to perform her skilled job and better proficiency was a motivation for undertaking the education.

At this point it appears that the letter is all ATO wants.

If you rate in a positive way (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES) I am credited with responding. It adds nothing to your costs but it assists me.

Checking to see if your girlfriend requested that letter.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4