Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am the sole support of my daughter who is 25 and is a full

Customer Question
time student. She earned...
I am the sole support of my daughter who is 25 and is a full time student. She earned no money in 2016. Does she qualify as my dependent and can I claim Head of Household on my 2016 taxes. I am unmarried.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
8/9/2016
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi Marjorie. My name's Lane. I can help you here.

...

Yes, you can.

...

There are three basic requirements:

...

• You were not married (you were single, divorced, or legally separated), or were "considered unmarried" on the last day of the tax year.
  • You paid more than half the cost of "keeping up a home" for the year.
  • A "Qualifying Person" lived with you in that home for more than half the year, except for temporary absences (a dependent parent is not required to live with you, and a student away at school full time is considered a temporary absence).

...

A quaifying person can be EITHER a qualifying child or a qualifying relative. She doesn't qualify as qualifying child becasue the maximum age is 19 (24 for s full time student)

...

HOWEVER, from the information you've provided, she does qualify underr the qualifying relative test.

...

Here's that test

...

Relative (your child, stepchild, grandchild or other descendant of one of your children (or stepchildren or foster children), son-in-law, daughter-in-law, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, parent, stepfather, stepmother, father-in-law, mother-in-law, grandparent, great-grandparent, and, if related by blood, aunt, uncle, niece, or nephew

....

Gross Income of less than 4050 for 2016 (4000 for 2015)

...

Support: YOu provided half or more of the person's support for the tax year

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

Otherwise I’m working for no crediting at all here

...

Thank you!

Lane

I hold a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS