How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 586
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I inherited a property in the carribean and sold it last

Customer Question

I inherited a property in the carribean and sold it last year at a gain. I received no 1099S. What forms do I file on my tax return
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I never lived in nor rented the property
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I neither rented nor used the property
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your question. The sale of the property would be reported on Schedule D. You would take the sales price and reduce this by your basis in the property less and costs associated with the sale.

Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 1 year ago.

The basis of the property would be determined on the date you inherited. The basis would be the Fair Market Value or the property when you inherited. You would be able to claim any foreign taxes paid as a credit on Form 116.