How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 11998
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in NM. I have no will. Can I leave my household goods

Customer Question

I live in NM. I have no will. Can I leave my household goods and my car to my brother BEFORE probate court is initiated if I die? My only other asset is my house which is paid for and property tax are current.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

Hi, My names Lane. I can help you here


Yes, you can do this through a revocable living trust (which completely bypasses probate, and can be executed before the period probate usually takes.)


By using the revocable trust, you can change this at any time and retain control, but upon passing the trust becomes irrevocable and whomever you leave as successor trustee (you're the trustee while you're alive) is directed to change the title on the car and direct the other furnishings (whatever is listed in the trust) to your brother (the beneficiary of the trust).


Here's a great article from the attorneys at on how this can be done simply, online.


Please let me know if you have any questions at all.


If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

Otherwise I’m working for no crediting at all here


Thank you!


I hold a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986