Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Does taking social security payments in itself put you

Customer Question
within jurisdiction of United States?...
Does taking social security payments in itself put you within jurisdiction of United States?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
8/7/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

Even if not in the US or a US person a portion of Social Security retirement, survivors, or disability benefits may be taxed.

If IRS considers them to be a foreign person for tax purposes (or nonresident alien), SSA is required to withhold a 30 percent flat income tax from 85 percent of their Social Security retirement, survivors, and disability benefits. This results in a withholding of 25.5 percent of their monthly benefit. They may be exempt from this tax (or subject to a lower rate) by treaty.

Please remember that you are required to rate in a positive way (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES) so I am credited with responding.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4