How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15332
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Does taking social security payments in itself put you

Customer Question

Does taking social security payments in itself put you within jurisdiction of United States?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 11 months ago.


Even if not in the US or a US person a portion of Social Security retirement, survivors, or disability benefits may be taxed.

If IRS considers them to be a foreign person for tax purposes (or nonresident alien), SSA is required to withhold a 30 percent flat income tax from 85 percent of their Social Security retirement, survivors, and disability benefits. This results in a withholding of 25.5 percent of their monthly benefit. They may be exempt from this tax (or subject to a lower rate) by treaty.

Please remember that you are required to rate in a positive way (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES) so I am credited with responding.