How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 586
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The state of Georgia disallowed some deduction on my state

Customer Question

The state of Georgia disallowed some deduction on my state 2002 and 2005 tax returns. I was not notified. The state of Ga then filed liens in 2010, and 2013 for these tax years. I did not get any notification because I was no longer a resident of Ga. Moved in 2006. I did not find the liens until my husband died 9/26/14 and I applied for credit and was denied. I pulled my credit report and found these. I notified the credit reporting agency and let them know these were wrong but they said they are accurate. I notified the Ga dept of Revenue and got sent from dept to dept. I was told if I could provide proof that the IRS accepted the returns as filed, the state would too. But the IRS says they only have the past 3 yrs. What can I do?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I finally got the commissioners office to send my returns since I don't even have a copy that far back. I am actually owed a refund from both years. how can I get this resolved? how can I get his off my credit reports?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You will have to start with the GA department of revenue. Find out what was disallowed and why and if you can provide additional documents. Unfortunately you will not be able to claim a refund because the statute of limitations expired long time ago but you can clear the balance due. The state will issue a lien satisfaction notice that you will be able to use to update your credit reports. The lien will not be removed from your credit reports, it will stay there for 10 years, but it will be updated as released.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?