Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I bought my house January 15 2014. I put it in my 4

Customer Question
childerns name July of 2015...
I bought my house January 15 2014. I put it in my 4 childerns name July of 2015 . Can I have the home reversed back to me, so I can sell and get something smaller. I am 71 years old and have lived In this house since I bought it in January 2014.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
8/4/2016
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your question.

So are your children's the only ones who are on the title?

How much did you buy the property for in 2014? How much do you think the property will sell for?

Did you make any improvements?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
185,000 . I cut down trees to expand the yard , planted grass , some painting it looks very nice. The worth now would be $229,000

You would be able to pick up the cost of cutting down the trees, planting grass, and painting. This would add to your basis.

Were the deeds recorded?

I assume that these were quit claim deeds?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am not sure

What will be your income for this year?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
$15,000 to 16,000.

Is Social Security Income included in this amount?

The deeds could be reversed under limited situations involving a flaw in the title, fraud or duress. I am not sure if any of the situations apply. If the home is sold your children would have a short-term gain based on your difference between your cost basis (plus improvements) and the sale price of the home.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need clarification. I am happy to help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Why was I charged $5.00 four extra times. There is no money involved

I am not sure why you were charged these amounts. I do not have the ability to see what you were charged or correct it if it is wrong. I would suggest contacting customer service. They are usually very good at correcting these issues.

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor