Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
93680669

The state of California says that I owe almost $10k in back

Customer Question

The state of California says that I owe almost $10k in back taxes and interest and penalties from 2002 and my only income is from VA disability compensation and ss retirement. Can these be garnished to satisfy the states back taxes?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: They say I owe personal income tax from 2002 of $2,585.25 and from 2003 of $1,605.05. The total owed includeing interest and fees is $9,571.10. This is the first that I have heard of this bill being owed. I am 100% service connected disabeled veteran. I am 65 yrs. old and collect ss retirement also.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: not that I can think of
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions.

I was just checking on the statute of limitation to collect on these taxes. The federal government has a 10 year statute but California has a 20 year statute.

Do you still live in California?

California would not be able to garnish your Social Security Benefits.

VA benefits could only be garnished for spousal or child support.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need clarification. I am happy to help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not still live in California. I live in Massachussettes. I lived in Brazil for the past 10 yrs. and just returned.

California has very long statutes. Assuming that the returns were filed on time the state would have up until 2023 and 2024 to collect on these taxes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are saying that the State of California cannot garnish either my VA disability payments or my SS retirement benefits to satisfy these taxes Right?

That is correct.