Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Father's estate - Tax Preparer filed a 1041 extension (2015)

Customer Question
and subsequently sent the K-1...
Father's estate - Tax Preparer filed a 1041 extension (2015) and subsequently sent the K-1 with taxable income. However I did not receive any proceeds until June 2016. Which year do I report income on my 1040?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Pretty much explained
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No, I just need to know if I have to file an amended tax return for 2015 or include the 2015 K-1 information on my 2016 Tax Return
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
8/3/2016
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions.

What was the year end for the 1041?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The year ended was December 31, 2015

You would report the income reflected on the K-1 in 2015.

It sounds like you may also receive a K-1 in 2016.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor