Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If an LLC that is making a documentary receives a large

Customer Question
grant in late 2016 but...
If an LLC that is making a documentary receives a large grant in late 2016 but most of the expenses will be in 2017, is there a way to defer claiming the income from the grant until 2017? The anticipation is that the expenses will end up being equal to if not more than the grant. but the concern is that if they receive the money this calendar year adn expenses are in the next calendar year, they will lose a significant chunk to taxes. Is there a way to push the income forward for tax filing?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
8/3/2016
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't see answers. Did you see the questions in my initional request above?

Yes, you would be able to defer the revenues until when the associated expenses are recognized.

The grant would be recorded as deferred income.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need clarification. I am happy to help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That would only apply if they accrual method, they don't. I should have been more specific in my question. That's the sticking point. I am trying to figure out if there is a way to push the income forward.

Is this a new business or existing business?

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor