Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

We were speaking earlier regarding social security

Customer Question
Hi Mark, we were speaking...
Hi Mark, we were speaking earlier regarding social security questions. I was never able to reconnect with you with the answers to the questions you ask in the latter part of our conversations. Both my husband and I pay $104.90 out of our checks prior to the ss disbursement too us.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
8/1/2016
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, I assume that this if for Medicare.

I apologize my appointment ran longer than expected.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That is ok and yes it is Medicare.

The taxes would be based on the gross amount of the benefits. The maximum amount of Social Security benefits that are taxable is 85%. The deduction for Medicare would be an itemized deduction on Schedule A. Medical expenses are limited to 7.5% of your Adjusted Gross Income (the wages and 85% of the Social Security Income). For you to receive benefit for medical expenses would need to itemize and your total medical expense would need to be more than $8,000.

The amounts that I previously gave you is an estimate of the total tax. This would be reduced by any withholding from your husband's paycheck.

It is possible to have Social Security withhold a portion for Federal Taxes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I can work from this I think. I have in prior years had very expensive shots. Still do for that matter. I think we need to itemize for this year. I think I have the info I needed. May need to have to have SS do that on withholding more.Thanks for your help. Can I get a copy of our discussions so I can speak intelligently to my husband? TY

Other items that you would be able to deduct are: state taxes, property taxes, fees to register your auto, charitable donations (cash and non-cash donations), mortgage interest.

I think you are able to print out the discussion. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am happy to help.

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor