How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Fiona Chen Your Own Question
Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 482
Experience:  Former IRS Revenue Agent
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Dr. Fiona Chen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to issue a monthly draw to an employee. How should

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: I need to issue a monthly draw to an employee. How should this be taxed?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Okay, the employee is being paid a salary, and a bonus. This payment is a draw against any potential future commissions. Is the draw payment subject to employee/employer FICA, Medicare, Federal and State withholding?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: That's about it - this is the first time issuing a draw payment to an employee. We'd like to get it right - the first time!
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 10 months ago.

Dear Employee Draw,

Any amounts paid to employees to compensate their services, no matter how large or small, as long as it is countable in terms of dollar amount, salary or commission, all subject to payroll taxes. So, this employee draw is part of his/her salary and is subject to all payroll taxes, federal or state, etc. At year end, it is reported on W-2 as wage income to the employee.

The link attached below is a reference on the subject.

Please feel free to follow up with your question. Otherwise, I am ready to be evaluated by you for your satisfaction with my answer to your question.


Grace C.

Related Tax Questions