How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3607
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do you file taxes for a very temporary intern which I

Customer Question

How do you file taxes for a very temporary intern which I will pay, yet will only be working as an assistant for my sole proprietorship for about a month, doing minor clerical work and research
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If the person will be performing services for you for about a month, my best advice would be to treat him/her as an independent contractor and issue a 1099-MISC at the end of the year if the earnings are $600 or more. It does not really make sense to set up payroll (federal withholding, social security and medicare) for such a temporary, short term work arrangement.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,


Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Best regards,