Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My Mothers home just sold she passed in "09" - my Nephew has

Customer Question
been living there for free...
My Mothers home just sold she passed in "09" - my Nephew has been living there for free up to sale of the home - a Trust was provided which divides the money between 4 ea. siblings - one has passed but the trust calls for Her kids to get her share (i.e. Nephew) since he has been living there up to sale of the home are we exempt from paying taxes on the Capital Gains?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/31/2016
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions.

Unfortunately you would not be exempt from Capital gains on the sale of the home.

The trust would receive a step up in basis for the FMV of the house at the time of your Mother's death or six months later.

If your Mother's basis was higher than the value of 2009 you would use the higher value.

The capital gain would be determine by the sales pricing less closing costs and less the basis in the house.

Depending on the type of trust, the taxes will paid by the trust or by the beneficiaries.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what is FMV

Sorry - Fair Market Value

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney