Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Are childcare, babysitting expenses deductible? can one pay

Customer Question

are childcare, babysitting expenses deductible?
can one pay for grandchildren's primary education.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

There IS a child care CREDIT, (which is better than a tax deduction, becasue it's a dollar for dollar deduction from your tax bill (rather than simply a reduction in your taxable income).

..

To qualify for the child and dependent care credit, you must have paid someone to care for one or more of the following people:

...
• A child age 12 or younger at the end of the year whom you claim as a dependent on your tax return
• Your spouse, if that person is unable to take care of himself or herself and has lived in your home for at least half the year
• Any other person claimed as a dependent on your return, if that person can't take care of himself or herself and has lived in your home at least half the year

...

An you can can claim the credit for money you paid for care

...

(as long as the recipient was not one of the following people:)

...
• Your spouse
• A parent of the child being cared for - for example, you couldn't claim the credit if you pay your ex-husband or ex-wife to care for the children you have together
• Anyone listed as a dependent on your tax return
• Your own child age 18 or younger, regardless of whether he or she is a dependent on your tax return - for example, you couldn't pay your 17-year-old child to look after an 8-year-old sibling and then claim the credit

...

And on your questoin about the education payment ... only higher education (post 12th grade), so sorry, carries tax deductions and credfits (there are severa)

...

You can nread more about the child care credit here:

...

https://www.irs.gov/uac/ten-things-to-know-about-the-child-and-dependent-care-credit

...

And you can read more about the various educational tax incentives here.

...

https://www.irs.gov/uac/tax-benefits-for-education-information-center

...

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

Otherwise I’m working for no crediting at all here

...

Thank you!

Lane

I hold a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.