Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I receive my refund this year, I owe from last year, they

Customer Question
took it out of this...
I receive my refund this year, I owe from last year, they took it out of this year and sent me the rest of it, now I am trying to get my last year refund
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
7/27/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

If you owe the IRS or the state of Alabama, they will perform an OFFSET. That is when they keep all or a portion of your refund to cover the tax debt from a previous year.

IRS will even keep your federal and give it to the state if the state asks them too.

If you owed for 2014 and did not pay then the offset of your 2015 refund would be general procedure.

What year are you still trying to receive a refund for and from what agency (state or federal)?

Checking to see how you responded

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4