How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15182
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I receive my refund this year, I owe from last year, they

Customer Question

I receive my refund this year, I owe from last year, they took it out of this year and sent me the rest of it, now I am trying to get my last year refund
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 11 months ago.


If you owe the IRS or the state of Alabama, they will perform an OFFSET. That is when they keep all or a portion of your refund to cover the tax debt from a previous year.

IRS will even keep your federal and give it to the state if the state asks them too.

If you owed for 2014 and did not pay then the offset of your 2015 refund would be general procedure.

What year are you still trying to receive a refund for and from what agency (state or federal)?

Expert:  Robin D. replied 11 months ago.

Checking to see how you responded