How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anne Your Own Question
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2430
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Anne is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The state of Illinois is requesting 2012 and 2014 tax

Customer Question

The state of Illinois is requesting 2012 and 2014 tax returns from me. I am unable to print them from Turbo Tax on line. I tried reseting my password ***** ID to no avail. I need help to get the state off my back. By the way, both year taxes were submitted. The state misplaced them!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 1 year ago.


I'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 28 years and I'll be happy to help you.

First, I totally believe that you efiled your tax returns to the state of IL, and for some reason that we will never know, they don't have it now. So what happens when you can't get a copy to print from the software you used?

There are 3 options here:

1-you can call the help line for the software you purchased (if you haven't done that yet)

2-you can print off blank forms and copy the information from the return you filed and send in the hand written returns to IL

3-you can find a "Fillable Form" and copy information from the return you filed on to the fillable form

Number 3 gives you a nice, clean return to send, but there's nothing wrong with sending a hand written return. When I first started as a tax preparer, we filled out all returns by hand. Computer tax programs were still on the horizon. I have clients who fill out their returns by hand every year (yes, still) and bring them to me to check them before they mail them.

If you choose option 2 or 3, you can then mail them to the address that is on the letters you received (and I always send any correspondence by certified mail, even if it's to a PO Box) or better yet, fax them . There is generally a name on the correspondence you receive, or at least a phone # ***** you can call to get their fax # ***** it's not already on the letter)

Printing off the original return will not prove that you efiled it to IL , so you really gain nothing by printing off THAT copy.

If you have found my answer helpful, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive feedback that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanswer

Expert:  Anne replied 1 year ago.

HI Bernard

I see that you have read my response, but you have not rated it yet. Do you have any additional questions, or anything else I can help you with?

Over the years, I have successfully used ALL of the options I mentioned above to help people in the same situation you are . I also make sure to write "COPY" big and bold at the top of the forms. It is a not so subtle way of letting the taxing authority know that the forms were already submitted once, and I have found that to be a help over the years.

Again, if you have any questions, please post them here & I'll be notified, otherwise, please take the moment to rate positively so that I may receive credit for working with you.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.