How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4666
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am applying V A. pension and getting my medical expenses

Customer Question

I am applying for a V A. pension and getting my medical expenses in order. If I buy a medical trust ( I am 88 tears old), can I include that money I pay as a medical expense?
I am currently partially home bound, and pay a grandson to be acretaker. Do I have to provide him with a 1088 form, and are my payments taxablr to him?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant "Funeral Trust" in stead of medical trust. Sorry
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from Just Answer. I'mCustomer I will assist.

A funeral trust qualifies as an allocation of assets for asset-based programs like medicaid.

Your payments for care are taxable to your grandson. You should provide him with a 1099-MISC, but alternatives could include inclusion in your will to provide something for him, which would be tax free.

Please rate with positive feedback when I have answered your questions. Positive feedback is how we are compensated. I'mCustomer