Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am on social security disability and started driving this

Customer Question
I am on social security...
I am on social security disability and started driving for uber this month .
I want to know how you get so I'll security to recognize the cost involved, 55 cents a mile, as an expense against my gross earnings.
Yesterday I was at a local irs office and the clerk told me that I had to declare my gross income and that no deductions , such as mileage were deductible for the purposes of declaring my income.
This does not sound right and I am think of going back to the local irs office to speak to a claim adjuster.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
7/21/2016
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 year ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

When you file your tax return, you can deduct certain expenses from the gross income you receive from Uber, and mileage is one of those expenses. In addition, there are fees, commissions, safe rider fees or phone rental payments taken out by Uber that can be deducted as well.

The following links contain excellent information about the expenses that can be deducted:

https://hurdlr.com/blog/uber/16-tax-deductions-uber-drivers-can-use-immediately#.V5CgZfkrKM8

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2722277-what-can-an-uber-driver-deduct

As you can see, the information that the IRS clerk gave you is INCORRECT.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent