How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Fiona Chen Your Own Question
Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 482
Experience:  Former IRS Revenue Agent
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Dr. Fiona Chen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a certified letter from irs today 2001. I believe

Customer Question

I received a certified letter from irs today for year 2001. I believe they filed my return years ago. how can I get this to go away?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: the irs previously filled for years 1997 and 2000 I had the lien removed for being over ten years old, what about 2001?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no, I never filed for 2000 or 2001, any comment about that?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 11 months ago.

Dear Certified Letter,

What is the date that they prepared the substitute tax return for you? That is the date that you start to count the 10 years of collection. Eventually, you have to hire a tax return preparer to help you.

So called "get this to go away", let me give you some suggestions on the proper procedure benefiting to the taxpayer.

1) Usually, when the IRS prepares a substitute for return, they don't give us all the credits or deductions. So, you may need to file a tax return to reduce your tax liabilities.

2) Once you file the tax return, if this is a tax refund, you probably will not receive it because the year of refund claim allowed is past.

3) If it is tax due, you see whether you can pay in full or not. If not, you can request an installment payment plan.

4) If they asserted penalty, then, you can send in a request for penalty abatement with reasonable cause(s).

5) Timely responding to all the notices is most important thing and don't let the notices become overdue. Respond within the time given, say one month.

6) Find a professional, even the HR Block, can help you with this matter.

Also, if you are current in filing tax returns or making payments for the current tax years, they are more forgiving towards the past tax return penalties. -- not tax.


Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP

Related Tax Questions