Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am a tutor and get paid daily, usually in cash, sometimes

Customer Question
personal check. what do...
i am a tutor and get paid daily, usually in cash, sometimes personal check. what do i need to do to files taxes next year? how can my income be verified?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
7/18/2016
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 year ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions.

How much money are you expected to make from tutoring?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it varies WIDELY. i dont charge a fee for cancelling. i charge most families different amounts and they dont have to commit to more than one week at a time

The income would be reported on schedule C.

On schedule C you would report your business income and expenses. The net income would be subject to self-employment taxes. Essentially the net income would be taxed at a rate of 15.3% (FICA and Medicare).

The income would also be subject to income taxes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
new to this site.... are u charging me $42 or $54? or both?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how can it be verified besides the deposits i make into the account?

I believe it is the $42. The $54 would have been the charge for a phone call consultation. I cannot see the charges on my end.

You would want to open a separate bank account for the business activity. This would keep track of all your deposits and expenses.

You also want to keep track of your mileage. You need to keep a log. You would be able to claim an automobile expense equal to $0.54 a mile.

I am not sure what you mean by be verified? Are you applying for financing?

Is this your first year of doing tutoring service?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
nope. and i dont keep any records.(no record of income, no record of expenses) i dont really want to keep a log of anything, im lazy. what if i just claim my bank deposits as my income

That is fine. You would want to keep copy of the checks receive and a list of the payments receive. Something that would match up to your deposits. The log does not have to be anything elaborate. You could use a calendar and use it to write down your mileage. You should deduction every deduction that you are entitled to.

If you claim all of your deposits as income that is fine. You need to be sure to include any cash payments.

I hope you found this information to be beneficial. If this answered your question please take a few moments to rate my response. A rating is needed in order for me to receive credit for helping you today. The rating bar is located at the top of the page – ranging from 1 to 5 stars. If you need me to clarify aspect of my response or if there are additional areas of the question that you would like me to consider please let me know. I would be happy to continue the discussion. It has been my pleasure helping you today

Please let me know if you have any more questions or need clarification.

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor