How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15182
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was supposed to get a 13 thousand dollar tax return 2

Customer Question

I was supposed to get a 13 thousand dollar tax return 2 years ago (I started a business). I got a letter from the government confirming that it would be sent out. It never came. This tax season I pushed my accountant to try and get it through. I was told it would take 30 days and I would hear from the government. I have still had no word and that was several months ago now. My question is; Can I sue the government for my tax return? It has been a nightmare dealing with this situation. I relied on that tax return and it never came. Making it a rough past couple of years.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 11 months ago.


The status of the refund should be available to you (or your accountant). You can go directly to the IRS yourself with this issue. It could be that the check was issued but has been lost in transit. The IRS could then issue a replacement.

Suing the govt is not an option for this situation. The Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) is your voice at the IRS. They ensure you are treated fairly, and know and understand your rights. If you are having problems and have not been able to resolve them with the IRS, you may be eligible for free TAS assistance.

If you have tried to get your refund with the IRS, and not having the money is causing you a financial hardship, the Taxpayer Advocate Service may be able to help.

Above is the link to the TAS.

Please remember that you are required to rate in a positive way (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES) so I am credited with responding.

Related Tax Questions