Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I was supposed to get a 13 thousand dollar tax return 2

Customer Question
years ago (I started a...
I was supposed to get a 13 thousand dollar tax return 2 years ago (I started a business). I got a letter from the government confirming that it would be sent out. It never came. This tax season I pushed my accountant to try and get it through. I was told it would take 30 days and I would hear from the government. I have still had no word and that was several months ago now. My question is; Can I sue the government for my tax return? It has been a nightmare dealing with this situation. I relied on that tax return and it never came. Making it a rough past couple of years.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
7/18/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

The status of the refund should be available to you (or your accountant). You can go directly to the IRS yourself with this issue. It could be that the check was issued but has been lost in transit. The IRS could then issue a replacement.

Suing the govt is not an option for this situation. The Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) is your voice at the IRS. They ensure you are treated fairly, and know and understand your rights. If you are having problems and have not been able to resolve them with the IRS, you may be eligible for free TAS assistance.

If you have tried to get your refund with the IRS, and not having the money is causing you a financial hardship, the Taxpayer Advocate Service may be able to help.

https://www.irs.gov/advocate

Above is the link to the TAS.

Please remember that you are required to rate in a positive way (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES) so I am credited with responding.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4