How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4677
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I will be 66 year old in August of this year, and continuing

Customer Question

I will be 66 year old in August of this year, and continuing to work in a somewhat well paid job. At that time, if I elect to begin receiving my social security benefits, is it the case that I will receive my full benefit without reduction or penalty as a result of also being employed? Also, will I have to pay federal income tax on my s.s. income? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from Just Answer. I'mCustomer I will assist.

If you claim social security at full retirement age (FRA), you will receive your full benefit without loss due to your working. You can earn as much at your job as you like, and not lose $.01 in social security benefits.

The social security benefits will likely be taxable, up to 85% of the total benefits. If you earn $70,000 at your job, and $12,000 in social security benefits in 2016, you might be Federally taxed on $70,000+ (.85*$12,000=)$10,200=$80,200 in total taxable income.

Just as a note to add to your decision, for every month you defer collecting your social security, the benefit increases by 2/3 of 1% for each month (8% per year).

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Please rate my assistance using the five star rating scale provided. Positive feedback is appreciated. I',mCustomer