How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3794
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I run a business in India while I am an a H1B visa? If

Customer Question

Can I run a business in India while I am an a H1B visa? If so, what are the guidelines for tax; should they be declared in US. Any double taxation?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If you are in the U.S. and on an H-1B visa, you may only work for the business that issued you that visa, and no other business. You may have partial or full ownership of another business--in the U.S., in your home country, wherever--as long as you don't work for those businesses (whether or not you are paid for that work).

You can't do it if you will be performing work on behalf of the foreign company while in the US in H-1B status. It would be unauthorized employment in violation of your status.
See 8 CFR 274a.12(b)(9)

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,


Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Best regards,