How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Taylor Your Own Question
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2065
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mark Taylor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

North carolina is going to have my wages garnished tax when

Customer Question

north carolina is going to have my wages garnished for income tax for 2009 when i left the state in 2008.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: all my wages in 2009 were earned in michigan. i paid state income tax for 2009 in michigan
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: i had a home go into forclosure in 2009 in north carolina
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 1 year ago.

My name is Mark. I would be happy to help you.

Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 1 year ago.

Have you contacted NC regarding the balance due? Did they send you a notice?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they have sent me quite a few notices. ive tried contacting their collections, it sends me to a call center not even in north carolina. ive tried contacting their state legislation as well as michigans. im currently stationed in japan so this whole mess has been a nightmare.
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 1 year ago.

Let me see if North Carolina has a taxpayer advocate. Do you know if NC will put a temporary hold on the account?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ive been working at this for almost a year, with the way they have everything set up its been impossible to contact anyone and have an actual conversation. i have 30 days or they are going to garnish my wages.
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 1 year ago.

The link above is to the North Carolina Taxpayer Advocate. This department is set up to ensure that every taxpayer is treated fairly. I seems like their system is making it hard for you to resolve the problem.

Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 1 year ago.

If you go to the page. There is a link to submit an electronic referral. The taxpayer advocate is usually very quick in their response. 1-2 days. You want to explain that you never worked in North Carolina in 2009 that all your wages were in Michigan.

Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 1 year ago.

What you need to determine is if the tax liability is correct or not. It is possible that the foreclosure (Cancelation of debt) could have triggered some income to North Carolina.

Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 1 year ago.

You could set up an installment agreement with them but I am sure that you would to determine if the liability is correct first.

Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 1 year ago.

I hope this was helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions.