How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to understand how my employer us deducting taxes

Customer Question

I am trying to understand how my employer us deducting taxes from my salary. I live in CT and work in NYC. Are they supposed to deduct NYC taxes?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: what information do you need?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I am aware of.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If your employer is in NYC and the job location is in NYC, your employer will deduct NY taxes. When you file you return, you will file NY state as nonresident and CT as resident. You will get a credit for taxes paid to NY on your CT return and it usually balance out so you do not owe a lot to CT. Unfortunately you will not be able to request a refund for the city taxes.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Any questions?