Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am trying to understand how my employer us deducting taxes

Customer Question
from my salary. I live...
I am trying to understand how my employer us deducting taxes from my salary. I live in CT and work in NYC. Are they supposed to deduct NYC taxes?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: what information do you need?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I am aware of.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
7/14/2016
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 1 year ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If your employer is in NYC and the job location is in NYC, your employer will deduct NY taxes. When you file you return, you will file NY state as nonresident and CT as resident. You will get a credit for taxes paid to NY on your CT return and it usually balance out so you do not owe a lot to CT. Unfortunately you will not be able to request a refund for the city taxes.

Any questions?

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney