Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Client switched from F-1 Visa to O-1 visa in Sept of 2015.

Customer Question
FOR LANEClient switched from F-1...
FOR LANEClient switched from F-1 Visa to O-1 visa in Sept of 2015. For past four years she has filed as a resident 1040. Does she still file the same way?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
7/14/2016
Tax Professional: Expert_James,
 replied 1 year ago
Expert_James

I am not familiar with a Lane in the immigration category. Have you worked with this person on immigration matters?

Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

...

Sorry, was in a meeting.

...

Yes, anyone that is a tax resident (and O status wouldn't change this) by virtue of substantial presence (which the cient certainly passes) ... along with US citizens and green card holders, file a 1040.

...

let me know if you have questions

...

Lane

..

Just for a little context: (I'll underline the pertinent part)

...

Resident Alien or Non-Resident Alien for Tax Purposes

The Substantial Presence Test

A resident alien for tax purposes is a person who is a U.S. citizen or a foreign national who meets either the “green card” or “substantial presence” test as described in IRS Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.

In general:

• F and J student visa holders are considered resident aliens after five calendar years in the U.S.
  • J researchers and professors are considered resident aliens after two calendar years in the U.S.
  • H-1, TN, and O-1 visa holders are considered resident aliens once they meet the “substantial presence” test.

Good to hear from you, Russ.

...

Let me know if you have questions

...

Lane

...

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

...

Let me know…

...

Thanks

Lane

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS